Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wall Mounted Shoe Storage Rack for Roadtrek Agile

Finding a place to keep our shoes inside the Agile has always been a problem, it's either we keep them on the door mat by the sliding door entrance or in the rear storage compartment. Our shoes are always on the way and taking valuable storage space plus it looks untidy and unorganized.

The shower wall facing the cab is the perfect and convenient place to store our shoes. If shoes are placed vertically against the wall it would only take very little space and should not be on your way getting in and out the RV. The shoe storage rack is fabricated from 1/4 inch thick acrylic plastic sheet and tarp bungee cords to hold the shoes in place. The posts that holds the bungee cords are made from 1/2 inch thick acrylic plastic. The shoe rack was painted black to match the appliances trim colors. I use 3M VHB tape to attach the shoe rack on the wall. Make sure the shoe rack is resting against the floor when using double sided tape as fastener to prevent unnecessary vertical shear tension on the wall plastic veneer finish.

The shoe rack size dimensions are specifically made for our shoe sizes.  If you have wider shoes, you might not be able to fit 2 pairs side by side as the shower wall width is limited. To save you the trouble, carefully measure everything before you start. Have fun building!

If DIY is not for you, Amazon has variety of "Wall Mounted Shoe Racks" products that might interest you.


 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Roadtrek Life!! This is your Sprinter-based Class B DIY counterpart The Interstate Blog, and I'm declaring that our great minds think alike, because I just published some shoe storage ideas last month. I like your solution; my own are more on an "out of sight, out of mind" theme: http://www.interstateblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/storing-many-shoes-in-airstream.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I second on the "great minds think alike" :-). I also like the idea of the "out of sight shoe storage", but Agile is so small that every nooks and crannies inside the van is already used up. By the way, I like your Blog, your mods and DIY's, thanks for sharing it. I also did something similar to your window screen DIY a few months ago just have no time posting it. Heck, I still have like 10-15 mods/DIY's that I have not posted yet. I'm so bad in typing and blogging. It takes me more time posting than doing the actual DIY project...lol.

      Delete
  2. Hi! We are a family of four with the two youngest under 10. We love he concept of the Road trek but we are unsure of how it will work with 4 of us. Could 4 comfortably travel and sleep in a Roadtrek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfortably travel, yes!. Sleep, it all depends, if you are planning that 4 of you sleeping on the back convertible sofa/bed, not very comfortably. The bed is only about 68-69 inches wide with wall on each side. It worked for us for years when they were little but I made a mattress for the front seats. My 2 kids now are 12 and 14, my eldest sleeps in the front DIY mattress and 3 of us sleeps in the back, not very comfortable for me as I have barely enough space to move...it is a trade off for a small RV. As my kids are all grown up, this could be the last year we are all sleeping inside the RV, I'm planning to sleep in a tent on our next Roadtrips, you get the idea.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I like your shoe storage, but what exactly are the "scraps of acrylic plastics" you made it from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant it was made from scraps of acrylic sheets I had in hand at that time. You can buy acrylic sheets in different sizes and thickness. I used 1/4 inch thick acrylic for the board and 1/2 inch thick acrylic on the posts that holds the bungee cords. You also need acrylic glue to glue the pieces together. It is a special glue to literally "weld" the plastic together. Here is the link for the glue (http://amzn.to/1P0MROA). Here is a YouTube link how to glue Acrylic plastics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this great idea! We created our own version for our SS Agile and are very happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the things called that you are using to hold the cords? Is it some kind of bracket? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are made out of same acrylic plastic cut to shape from ½ inch thick Acrylic plastic sheet using a table saw, the top edges are slightly rounded off using a sander, and then a small hole in the center is drilled for the bungee cord. The pieces are then fused into the large acrylic board using Acrylic glue> link: http://amzn.to/1P0MROA

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your shoe tip. It's the best solution I've seen for us in the Travato 59K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roadtrek Life,
    I am going to make this as well, but why size bungie cord did you use? 1/8" or 1/4"? Seems like 1/8" wouldn't be strong enough but the 1/4" would be a huge knot or require a larger acrylic piece. Thanks. Seanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry can't remember the exact size, I have to look. It is definitely smaller than 1/4".

      Delete

Unfortunately due to high levels of spam, all comments are now moderated before they are posted. Thank you.